Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Magic Word

I have absolutely been LOVING my time home with Paxton. In fact, today, we only left the house long enough to go on a 30 minute run in the morning. Then, when Brad got home, I headed out to tennis practice.

Anyway, I am so excited to be able to watch him grow and change before my eyes, and be able to share some fun stories. Today, the thing that made me laugh was his persistence with his newest word and sign language to go with it--the magic word--please. Instead of moving his hand in a circle on his chest, he merely scratches his chest, and says, "Meee, meee". It's really cute to see! But, he thinks that anytime he does this, he should get what he is asking for. In fact, he was using his manners to PLEASE ask for help as he tried to get into his small shopping buggy that he absolutely wouldn't fit in. Or, he used it when he wanted more cheese after I told him that he had already eaten enough. Another time he used it after I told him not to open a drawer. He's so funny, but I'm thankful he is using his manners!

Speaking of the drawer, he kept getting in the drawer in the living room and pulling out dangerous things. Most of the time he does a great job following directions (remind me of this when I start complaining), but today he was testing me. I told him 3 times not to open the drawer. The third time, I warned him and told him not to do it again, and that I would pop his hand if he did. I haven't ever done this before, but he knew what I was talking about, because he walked around the living room, saying "nuh, nuh, nuh" and slapping the couch or the pillow. Too funny! Well, surprise, surprise--he went back to the drawer and I followed through and gave him a light pop, and walked him away. He gave a very tiny whimper and then played with something else. However, he again went to the drawer, so I popped his little hand a bit harder this time. This time, he whimpered a tad bit longer, but he didn't go back to the drawer the rest of the day. It worked (for now, anyway)!

This is one reason why I like to be out and about, rather than staying at home where he can get in trouble! :-) Just kidding!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Smart kid! but we already knew that :) I am glad you are enjoying your time at home with him! Have a great vacation--we'll have to set up a play date when you get back! Love y'all!