We made new friends over the weekend, which was a little bittersweet, because they were the Emergency Room nurses and doctors. Yes, we went to the ER twice this weekend!
Warning: Long story intended for the scrapbook!
Saturday night at 6:45, Pax and I were standing by the trashcan and he had his hand in there. I took his hand out and told him not to do that, but the lid was cracked, and I guess it was too tempting. He put it in there again, I checked to make sure there wasn't anything in there that could hurt him, and then let him be. Well, I was obviously wrong, because he then pulled his hand out and started wimpering, which led to a full-fledged scream! I thought he had pinched his hand or something, until I saw the blood gushing from the middle finger of his left hand! He had cut it on the empty can of corn. I checked it, and saw that the lid was pushed inside, so I thought we were safe! However, he must have cut it on the edge of the can! I freaked out and started yelling for Brad, who was outside grilling some delicious chicken and shrimp. We immediately grabbed paper towels to try and stop the bleeding, but after 15 minutes, and to no avail, we headed to the ER.
Once there, we had the nicest nurses, and they took us back to a room after a very short wait! So fortunate! Dr. Orr (we're on first name basis now) saw us sitting in a room and stopped to talk to us, looked at his hand, and then moved us to a different room so we were on the "fast track". Again, so fortunate! He introduced us to the really nice PA, Ben, that would take care of us. They gave him some tylenol with codine which knocked him out about 3o minutes later. He fell asleep on Brad's chest, and the bleeding finally stopped (2 hours after the initial cut). Then a nurse and Ben came back in to put 3 stitches in Little Man's finger!!! Poor baby! He's now been to the ER 3 times and has gotten 3 stitches and he's not even a year old!! Just one of the joys of having an active little boy, right, Steph??
As you can imagine, he slept really well Saturday night--from 10 (once we got home and I nursed him) until 9 am!! He's never slept that long without nursing!!! But, he woke up with a fever of 100.1 Sunday morning. I gave him some motrin and didn't really think about it again, until about 4 when he woke up from a nap and felt really hot. Again, he had a fever. I gave him some tylenol, but he was just so lethargic and not himself. He was even laying his head on my chest. So, I called the nurse line at Children's Healthcare, and they were worried that his finger was a little red, and that he had a fever. By this time, he had also lost one of the stitches. So, they sent us back to the ER.
Once we checked in, Dr. Orr saw our name, and came out to the waiting room to see us! He was scared that we were back because all the stitches had fallen out! He wasn't really worried about the fever, and the stitches looked good, even though there were only 2 left, but he was a little concerned that the finger was red. He has been on an antibiotic for a week now for the mild ear infection, and that should be helping his finger. So he changed the antibiotic, and suggested we go to the pediatrician today. Most of the same nurses were there, and remembered us and sweet Paxton! They all stopped to talk to us!
Mimi came up again to stay at home with Little Man, and so we could take him to the doctor. He weighed 24 pounds (with his clothes on, though). Last week he was 23.2 pounds.
Warning: Long story intended for the scrapbook!
Saturday night at 6:45, Pax and I were standing by the trashcan and he had his hand in there. I took his hand out and told him not to do that, but the lid was cracked, and I guess it was too tempting. He put it in there again, I checked to make sure there wasn't anything in there that could hurt him, and then let him be. Well, I was obviously wrong, because he then pulled his hand out and started wimpering, which led to a full-fledged scream! I thought he had pinched his hand or something, until I saw the blood gushing from the middle finger of his left hand! He had cut it on the empty can of corn. I checked it, and saw that the lid was pushed inside, so I thought we were safe! However, he must have cut it on the edge of the can! I freaked out and started yelling for Brad, who was outside grilling some delicious chicken and shrimp. We immediately grabbed paper towels to try and stop the bleeding, but after 15 minutes, and to no avail, we headed to the ER.
Once there, we had the nicest nurses, and they took us back to a room after a very short wait! So fortunate! Dr. Orr (we're on first name basis now) saw us sitting in a room and stopped to talk to us, looked at his hand, and then moved us to a different room so we were on the "fast track". Again, so fortunate! He introduced us to the really nice PA, Ben, that would take care of us. They gave him some tylenol with codine which knocked him out about 3o minutes later. He fell asleep on Brad's chest, and the bleeding finally stopped (2 hours after the initial cut). Then a nurse and Ben came back in to put 3 stitches in Little Man's finger!!! Poor baby! He's now been to the ER 3 times and has gotten 3 stitches and he's not even a year old!! Just one of the joys of having an active little boy, right, Steph??
As you can imagine, he slept really well Saturday night--from 10 (once we got home and I nursed him) until 9 am!! He's never slept that long without nursing!!! But, he woke up with a fever of 100.1 Sunday morning. I gave him some motrin and didn't really think about it again, until about 4 when he woke up from a nap and felt really hot. Again, he had a fever. I gave him some tylenol, but he was just so lethargic and not himself. He was even laying his head on my chest. So, I called the nurse line at Children's Healthcare, and they were worried that his finger was a little red, and that he had a fever. By this time, he had also lost one of the stitches. So, they sent us back to the ER.
Once we checked in, Dr. Orr saw our name, and came out to the waiting room to see us! He was scared that we were back because all the stitches had fallen out! He wasn't really worried about the fever, and the stitches looked good, even though there were only 2 left, but he was a little concerned that the finger was red. He has been on an antibiotic for a week now for the mild ear infection, and that should be helping his finger. So he changed the antibiotic, and suggested we go to the pediatrician today. Most of the same nurses were there, and remembered us and sweet Paxton! They all stopped to talk to us!
Mimi came up again to stay at home with Little Man, and so we could take him to the doctor. He weighed 24 pounds (with his clothes on, though). Last week he was 23.2 pounds.
2 comments:
Oh! Poor little guy. I sure hope he's feeling better.
I am almost 27 and I have never had stiches and only been to the ER twice!! Paxton is way ahead of me! Hope he is doing better!
Post a Comment