Thursday, September 8, 2011

School Sprinkle Leads to Eventful Evening


Sept 7th

My team threw me a sprinkle at school, complete with a yummy cookie cake.  I got some really great and useful things for Parker and his nursery!  One teacher even gave Paxton a book for us to read together, and another made a blanket for him to use with his stuffed animals!:-)  It meant a lot to me that the school and staff would do this for us!  Once we got all the goodies home, Pax helped me put it all away.  I sat in the floor of the nursery and Pax would bring me something and ask me where it goes.  I would take the tags off things, and he would put them in the hamper or wherever I told him they went.  He is going to be such a big helper!!!

After school, I went to my 37 week doctor's check up with Dr. S.  As we were sitting there talking, she interrupted me and asked if I felt the contractions she saw me having.  I had no clue that they were contractions, I thought Parker was just getting into a ball.  Now I know, though, that's exactly what a contraction feels like!  So, here is where it got a little scary.  Dr. S told me that she wanted me to go to the hospital to monitor my contractions and see how regular they were.  I asked her if we could just do it at the office, but she said she was going to do someone else's c-section, and could monitor me if I was there with her.  She actually sent me very quickly, and didn't even let me wait to talk to the business office.  I asked if I needed someone to meet me there, and she said yes.  This is when I kind of freaked out!

So, I checked into the hospital and was in triage on a monitor by 6 pm.  Dr. S. came in and checked on me before her c-section, but I had only been on the monitor for about 5 minutes at that point.  My contractions continued, and were even as close 2 or 2 1/2 minutes apart.  Some took my breath, but nothing too painful.  Dr. S. put me on some IVs to see if they would slow down and spread out some.  She said that she wasn't going to stop them if they continued, and that she wasn't going to let me go home if they were 8 minutes apart.  After the first bag of IVs, she decided to keep me over night, and they moved me to a room. 

Before I got moved, Mimi and Papa brought Pax to the hospital so he could go home with Grandma and Pops for school the next day.  He was VERY uncomfortable seeing me in the bed with the IV, and wouldn't even sit with me for long.  I had a tough time seeing him respond to me like this!   I was afraid that he wasn't going to have those last few days that I had planned for him as an only child!  He didn't stay long, and went on home to get in bed. 

Sept. 8th

The next morning, the IVs and rest had kicked in, and my contractions let up a lot.  I didn't drink enough water or rest enough during the day on Wednesday, and I learned my lesson!  They discharged us at 7:30 am.  But, as Dr. S. walked out of the room she said, "I'm letting you go home, but I have a feeling you'll be back later tonight to have this baby!"  Umm, no, I don't think so!!!  Plus, Dr. S. is heading out of town for a week, so Parker has to stay put!! 

I was so glad to go home with a baby in my stomach still, and Brad and I even got to pick Pax up from school and take him to lunch!  Then, Pax and I spent some time playing together and resting!!!  I even took 2 naps!!!

1 comment:

The Kimmels said...

So glad Dr S took care of you so Parker would stay put! Isn't it crazy how she can see the contraction and tell you that you are having one!?! the SAME thing happened to me ...but much earlier in my pregnancy. Luckily Will stayed put too! This is your last weekend as a family of 3!!