Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Longest Plane Ride Ever

Okay, not really the longest plane ride ever, but where it was supposed to last only 2 hours, we didn't make it home until 2:30--about 7 hours later!!!

Last night---or should I say this morning--we finally made it home from the lake. We didn't expect this major ordeal at the end of our perfect trip, but we sure got some excitement. We were scheduled to land in Atlanta at 9:30, but we were ahead of schedule and our pilot said that we would land at 9:15. I was excited to have a shorter ride with Pax, and also to see Brad waiting for us at the airport.

Well.....we were circling over Atlanta when the pilot came on and said that the severe storms below us had closed the airport and grounded all planes arriving and departing from the ATL. What????? So, we had to detour back north to Charlotte for more fuel. We arrived in Charlotte to a full runway because all planes had been detoured to various spots. We sat on the runway for about 2 hours waiting for a gate to open. Poor Pax!!!! We finally got to a gate around midnight, and Pax got to get off the plane. Sweet boy kept saying, "all done" and that he wanted to get off while we were sitting on the runway. I gave him some cars and he played so contentedly with them while we only waited! At this point, we weren't even sure if we were going to make it back to Atlanta tonight. Keep in mind, that Brad and my Dad are waiting for us at the airport this whole time, too!! UGH!!!

Anyway, we got to get off the plane FINALLY in Charlotte, and I ran Pax in circles around the concourse for about 45 minutes while they refueled the plane! He thought it was so much fun, and it was only our plane out there, so he really got to run! I guess the passengers on the all the other planes weren't allowed to get off. :-( I was just grateful we were!!

We reboarded about 12:45/1 am, and finally were headed home. The rest of the flight was uneventful, and Pax fell fast asleep. Once we got to the Atlanta airport, Mom and I had to get all of our bags and carry the dead weight of Pax through the airport. We didn't check any bags, so we had 2 small suitcases, 2 computers, a diaper bag, 2 purses, and the car seat in a handy bag with wheels. But, when we checked in, Pax had been able to walk. Now, he was way too tired to walk. So, I sat him on top of the suitcase and he held on to the handle as I wheeled him through the concourse. It was hilarious, and we got some funny looks! (The airport was indeed crowded at 2 am because of all the delays!) I totally would have paid some good money for the kind of cart that puts the car seat on wheels so the child can ride in it!!!

Well, we made it through the concourse, on the train, and up the escalator where Brad and Dad were ANXIOUSLY awaiting our arrival! Boy, was it good to be back home and to see them!

Now that's just a fun story that we can look back on and smile!!!

3 comments:

Alison said...

WOW! I think I would have been in tears. Sounds like ya'll made the most of the situation. Truly a memory for the family album. :)

The Kimmels said...

I didn't know that happened. I guess that's another good thing about having a blog. :) Did you talk Mackenzie into using hers more often?

The Kimmels said...

BTW - I love the new family photo, but I wish I would have been there to take it. :)