Tonight we had Relay for Life at the high school. We went with the theme "Flip Floppin' for a cure" and wore flip flops with our t-shirts. We had a really great turn-out from our school, and our team did a great job with fundraising. We raised $1000 more than last year, for a total of over $6500 last time I checked! Yeah!!!! AND, our beautiful banner won first place in the banner competition! Great job, team!
Pax and Brad came for a while, and then I stayed until about 1:30 am. They were late delivering the pizza that they promised for midnight, and I was NOT leaving until I had some! :-)
I am sure it was difficult for her, but Mrs. Tracey came and spent the evening, too. We honored her with a luminary, and I had one of my students make it with the names of the kids she babysits. Also, one of my students this year is a one-year cancer survivor, and he came with his mom. We also honored Avery with a luminary that the rest of the students in the class signed. We also had luminaries for my Dad's 2 sisters that are cancer survivors as well, but for some reason I didn't get a picture of those bags. :-( I also wish I had a taken a picture during the luminary service when all the bags were lit up. It looks so cool. Relay is such a moving and awesome experience, and I am thankful that we have the opportunity to honor the survivors and raise money to help those that are still fighting in something as big as this event! The whole community comes out to support this and it's just so neat to see! It's very hard to keep a dry eye as you see the survivors walk around the track being supported and cheered on by everyone around!
1 comment:
The walk was an emotional time for me but I was really glad to be there. Thank you for inviting me to walk with your school. I had a great time. And you know I love that little man. I was so happy to see him there. The "lap" he and I did was special to me. Thanks for letting me do that!
Love Tracey
Post a Comment