The day was business as usual, until Paxton became a little fussy and clingy in the evening. Normal was thrown out the window at 1:30 Monday morning when Pax woke up screaming. Brad and I both tried to calm him down, but he was even more clingy and wouldn't even let Brad hold him. After trying everything we could think of, I finally decided to go ahead and feed him in order to get him to calm down. Then I put him in bed with us. At about 2:30, he woke up and had what I thought was projectile spit up. By the third time, and the third spot in the bed, I was worried, and figured that it wasn't spit up any more. (Duh!) But, Paxton wasn't upset and even managed to fall back asleep before I could even get a cloth to clean up his face.
Then, the morning got even worse. I was holding him, and he started gagging and threw up all over me, himself, and the area around us. Brad and I both started freaking out, because he couldn't stop throwing up. Pax and I headed to the bath tub to minimize the clean up, and Brad headed to get the phone to call the doctor. At this point, it's 3:45, and I needed my Mom. So, she headed over to help out. Hey--no one was sleeping at this point! Thanks, Mom!!
We then put him in the bath tub, and waited for the nurse to call back. After talking with her and answering a lot of questions, she told us to take him to the Emergency Room. What??? The ER??? We didn't think that was the answer!! We hurried and got all our stuff and took Pax on his first visit to the hospital.
We had to wait for about an hour and a half before we got into a room. Now it's 6:00, Brad and I aren't going to work, and school, we're waiting to see a doctor, my dad has joined us, and Pax has now thrown up (or tried) about 12 times so far! Poor Baby!!!
The doctor gave him some medicine and then we had to get some fluids in him. We were a little zealous and rushed the whole thing, and up it came again. We thought he was going to have to get IV's, but we slowed down with the Pedialyte, and he was able to keep it down. YEAH!!!! He was discharged from the ER at 9:30, and was sleeping soundly!!
However, the story is just beginning! I had a bump on my hand so I thought I'd get it checked out while we were there. The doctor said it is cellulitis, which is a viral infection caused from a scratch that can lead to a staph infection!! I had no clue!! So, he gave me medicine for my hand, and a prescription for the same thing that Pax had to stop his nausea and vomitting. (a hint of foreshadowing here)
The rest of the day we rested and took care of our little man. Grandma and Pops came over that evening for dinner and to check on Pax. These pictures were taken when got to feeling better again! What a difference from 12 hours earlier!!
To make matters worse, Brad had to leave work early Tuesday, because HE inevitably came down with it also. He was out of work yesterday. And, yes, Grandma and Pops came down with it too, but a milder version (if that's possible) because they took the medicine at the first sign of feeling nauseous.
Our family still isn't at 100%, but we're getting there. It's pretty much just getting our appetites back. I hope that no one has to experience this, because there are not words to describe how horrible it makes you feel. But, at least now you know the stages of the sickness!
3 comments:
oh no...i am about to cry i feel so bad. i guess we gave it to ya'll! i am SOOO sorry. i thought we weren't contagious anymore.
So glad everyone is back to normal!! Sounds like you had a rough run of it! Love and miss you--and esp Paxton!
That sounds so rough! I bet its the WORST feeling in the world when you baby is throwing up! Especially since he can't talk and tell you its about to happen!
Post a Comment